Preventive Medicine can make a difference for your health. It brings you a early detection of medical conditions that are not obvious to the untrained eye, or not fully developed yet. Health screening is one of the first step to safeguarding your health, because it allows you to advert about potential diseases, and to better manage those conditions if needed.
What are health screenings ?
A health screening regroups several medical exams (blood analysis, X-ray, MRI, etc.). It can be done after a discussion with your doctor, to check specific parts of your body or it can be done by purpose, as a health general check-up.
Medical centers and hospitals in Singapore usually offer health screening packages, that include different types of exams according to your situation and your age.
Most of the time, they will propose health screenings :
- General, that includes: chest X-ray ; screen of diabetic, bones, lipid, hepatitis virus ; haematology screen, stool and urine analysis, retinal photography
- Pre-marital, including anthropometry, haematology, hepatitis and STD profiles. You also can add fertility screen.
- For women, that includes: hormonal profile, screening mammogram
- For men, that includes cancer markers for prostate and pancreas
- For Silver
- Heart screening
- Sport screening
- And cancer markers
How to choose my health screening?
Choosing your health screening depends on many factors, such as:
- family history, because you will have to select exams for specific diseases (cancer, diabetes, heart diseases, etc.) if you have family history of cancer
- age, because you will not be exposed to the same risks at 25 and at 50
- gender, because some exams will be specific to women (for Breast Cancer detection for instance) and to men (for Prostate Cancer detection)
- lifestyle, because different daily habits could cause a variety of health effects (for instance, smokers are more likely to have more health risk with their lungs)
- present health complaints
When should I go for my first health screening?
There is no right time to go for your first health screening, but when you have family history of cancer, it is recommended to go earlier.
However, regular health screenings help you to follow up your health condition, and to detect conditions that may develop after the previous one.
How much does a health screening cost?
Even if some package have the same names, each establishment has its own health screening, so do not hesitate to check the details of each packages.
To give you an idea of the health screening prices, here are some prices of packages, proposed by both private and public hospitals:
- General health screening : 404.50 SGD at Mount Alvernia Hospital, from 473 to 946 SGD at Singapore General Hospital
- Pre-marital screening : 278.20 SGD for individual and 492.20 SGD for a couple at Mount Alvernia Hospital
- Woman health screening : from 667 to 1173 SGD at Mount Alvernia Hospital, from 334 to 516 SGD at Singapore General Hospital, 738 SGD at Parkway East Hospital (with their “Plus Package”)
- Man health screening : from 574 to 1026 SGD at Mount Alvernia Hospital, 708 SGD at Parkway East Hospital (with their “Plus Package”)
- Tumor marker : from 90 to 130.86 SGD at Singapore General Hospital
- Heart screening : 645.25 SGD at Mount Alvernia Hospital
Those health screenings are often included in international health insurance, and are sometimes offered by employers. You can also find much cheaper services, such as MyDoc whose main offer is based on health screening.
To find out more about healthcare topics in Singapore you can check our articles. To understand, how your health insurance plans cover healthcare costs, you can approach UEX‘s happiness team by email or by phone for more information and guidance – and the good news is that they are super nice!
With UEX, you can obtain a quote for a health insurance contract customized to your needs and requirements – all in less than a minute!