A winning smile will probably bring you self-confidence and pleasing appearance, but that’s not all! Orthodontics has aesthetics goals, but also medical purposes, through a better dental health.
What is the purpose of orthodontics?
Orthodontics solves dental problems such as crowding, overjet or protruding upper teeth, deep overbite, open bite, spacing, crossbite, underbite or lower jaw protrusion.
A correct alignment will prevent teeth and jaw discomforts and will make cleaning easier.
Who can have braces?
Braces are recommended for teenagers, but children and adults can also have some!
- Children: Some children will have braces from 5 or 6 years old. This is unusual at this early age, but it can be indicated by your dentist as a preventive treatment.
- Teenagers: Most of the orthodontics treatment will begin between 9 and 16 years old. The main reason is that correcting orthodontic problems at a time where teenagers are still growing is more likely to offer a stable result.
- Adults: Orthodontics is also a viable option for adults, and it is possible to chose discreet braces.
What are the different braces ?
You can find 4 main types of braces: metal, ceramic, lingual and Invisalign.
All of them have pros and cons:
|Metal braces||cheaper, |
provides a fast alignment of teeths
|Ceramic braces||transparent, |
looks better than metal
more expensive than metal
|Lingual braces||invisible because it is behind the teeth||expensive,
can be uncomfortable
not possible for all the teeth problems
How much does orthodontics cost?
Cost of orthodontics is very variable. It depends on many factors such as:
- the severity and complexity of the problem that will be solved,
- the duration of the treatment,
- the orthodontist you select (public or private establishment),
- the type of braces you select
|Average fees for Orthodontics|
|Public Institutions||$3,000 - $4,870|
|Private Dental Clinic||$2,000 - $10,700|
To find out more about healthcare topics in Singapore you can check our articles. To understand, how your health insurance plans cover healthcare costs, you can approach UEX‘s happiness team by email or by phone for more information and guidance – and the good news is that they are super nice!
With UEX, you can obtain a quote for a health insurance contract customized to your needs and requirements – all in less than a minute!
– November 2017