You are lost between all the different types of room You need to choose your health insurance, and you are lost in all of the choices based on the types of rooms during hospitalization. Ward A, 2 bedded, Ward C... You don't get it? Your choice will however have an impact on the bill in case of hospitalization. We explain everything you need to know in this article.
1/ What are the bedrooms according to the type of hospital
First, you need to choose the type of hospital you're planning on being hospitalized in. This would determine the types of rooms you can choose from. In Singapore, you can opt for your treatments, your surgeries, or your delivery to be carried out at a public or private hospital this will have an impact on your premium. Choosing to be covered in private hospitals in your contract will be more expensive than public ones only.
Once you've decided between a public or private hospital, you can select the type of bedroom you'd prefer to be hospitalized in.
If you've chosen private hospitalization, you can choose between:
- Single/Private bedroom - '1 bedded': sharing of room is not required
- Double/Semi-private bedroom - '2 bedded': the room will be shared with one other patient
- 4 bedroom - '4 bedded': the room will be shared with 3 other patients
If you've chosen public hospitalization, you can choose between:
- Ward A bedroom: either a single or double room (depending on the hospital)
- Ward B1 bedroom: a room with 4 beds
- Ward B2 bedroom: the room will be shared with 4 to 5 other patients
- Ward C bedroom: a room with 8 to 9 beds
Insurance companies generally only offer foreigners living in Singapore either single or double bedrooms.
2/ A difference in the prices regarding the different types of rooms
The price of your hospital night will depend on multiple elements:
- the hospital you are staying in ( private or public)
- the type of room you have (number of beds in the room)
- Price of private hospitals depending on the room type
There are numerous private hospitals in Singapore, check out the list on our article. In private hospitals, let's take a look at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital. The prices are the following:
- Single bedroom - '1 bedded': 688 SGD per night
- Double bedroom - '2 bedded':340 SGD per night
- 4 bedroom - '4 bedded': 276 SGD per night
To get more informations about the bedroom fares, you can consult directly Mount Elizabeth's website.
- Price of public hospitals depending on room types
About public hospitals, let's take the example of the National University Hospital:
- Ward A bedroom (1 bed): 527,51 SGD per night
- Ward B1 bedroom (4 beds): from 224,70 SGD per night
- Ward B2 bedroom (6 beds) : from 75 SGD per night
- Ward C bedroom (8 beds): from 41 SGD per night
Singapore counts quite a few renowned public hospitals. To see the list, take a look at our article.
3/ Impact on the price of coverages
Depending on your contract, your insurance usually takes care of all your hospitalization costs. Thus, the type of room you choose will impact on your hospitalization fees. For example, the price will be higher if you take a private room instead of a semi-private room, in which you will share with someone else.
Furthermore, according to the type of room, the treatment you will get might change. If you're statying on a private room, your treatment's price will be different than on a semi-private one.
At UEX, you can personalize your coverage according to your preferences. You can opt-in for a private bedroom (1 bed) or a semi-private one (2 beds)
For a Base plan 2 coverage in private and public hospitals in Singapore, a 30 years old man will pay the following:
- Private room: 149 SGD per month
- Semi-private room: 141,55 SGD per month.
You want to get an estimate of the coverages according to your profiles? Get the real price of your health insurance directly on our UEX platform.
Be careful, Some hospitals don't have all types of room. Therefore, make sure the room you're covered for is available in the hospital you are planning to stay. For example, the Mount Elizabeth Hospital at Novena offers only private rooms. As a result, your insurance will not cover the whole bill if you're staying in a room not included in your plan. You will not only have to pay for your room, but also for a part of the treatments. For more informations, read our advices before going to the hospital.
At UEX, you can choose the insurance you want, according to your budget and needs. With UEX coverages, you can choose between a private room and a semi-private one.
To find out more about healthcare topics in Singapore you can check our articles. To understand, how your health insurance plans cover healthcare costs, you can approach UEX's happiness team by email or by phone for more information and guidance - and the good news is that they are super nice!
With UEX, you can obtain a quote for a health insurance contract customized to your needs and requirements - all in less than a minute!