Will you soon be a parent? Do you already think about all the administrative procedures that you will have to do after birth? Health insurance is on the list!
Before giving birth, it is important to check that your newborn will be well covered by your health insurance.
At UEX, the mother's health insurance also covers the newborn but under certain conditions. But what are those conditions? Let's dig deeper to understand the various situations possible:
If you are already a UEX member with an international cover (Base plan 3 or 4)
If the mother is insured with the UEX Base plan 3 or 4 and with the maternity option, in case of complications related to delivery, the newborn and the mother will be covered (once the waiting period is over). It is the best situation!
In that case, it's easy:
Your baby will be covered from his date of birth onwards if you add him on the mother's policy within 30 days after the baby's birth. The coverage will be with the same conditions as the mother, so with an international cover.
If we focus on the baby's needs:
- Pediatrician will be fully covered, no letter of referral will be needed.
- Vaccinations will be covered up to SGD 900/year with a Base plan 3 and SGD 1,800/year with a Base plan 4 and after 90 days waiting period it means your baby will be covered for the vaccines, only 90 days after the starting date of his police.
If you don't have the maternity option but have a Base plan 3 or 4, the baby can be added to your policy but only after 15 days after his date of birth.
To add the baby to your cover, contact your UEX advisor. Don't forget to prepare the birth certificate as it will be required.
If you are already a UEX member with a local cover (Base 1,2 or 2+)
If the mother or the father is a UEX member with an existing UEX local policy (Base 1,2 or 2+), the baby can be covered by UEX but only after 15 days after his date of birth.
Please do note that Base 1,2 and 2+ are local coverages. They do not cover vaccination at all.
However, these plans cover up to the specialist consultation limit.
If you are not a UEX member
If you are not a UEX member, you cannot cover your newborn right after his birth, you will have to wait 15 days after his date of birth. Then, you can either :
- Insure the baby only (no adult insured on the policy). There will be a 20% loading on your premium meaning 20% increase on the insurance premium.
- Chose a cover for yourself and the baby. The baby will have to be 15 days old to be eligible to be covered. We would advise at least a Base 4 (no need of the maternity option) to cover your newborn if you want to cover all the treatments needed for a baby:
- Pediatrician: fully covered and no letter of referral needed under Base plan 3 & 4
- Vaccinations: cover after 90 days waiting period with Base plan 3 & 4. The limits for vaccinations are up to SGD 900/year with Base plan 3 and SGD 1,800/year with Base plan 4.
Click here if you want to know more about maternity coverage in Singapore!
Click here if you want to know more about the price of a childbirth!
To find out more about healthcare topics in Singapore you can check our articles. To understand how your health insurance plans cover the healthcare costs, you can approach UEX's happiness team by email or by phone for more information and guidance - and the good news is that they are super nice!
With UEX, you can obtain a quote for a health insurance contract customized to your needs and requirements - all in less than a minute!